What Is Your Mantra For the Rest of the Year?
The final term is ALWAYS demanding! As well as the usual teaching and learning that needs to be managed, challenging behaviours emerge (from staff as well as students), end of year events are stressful, the goal posts keep changing (it pays to be nimble), there is planning for all of those end of year transitions AND all of this occurs when our reserves are low and we are running out of energy.
Having a mantra to remind ourselves to stay focused and present the BEST version of ourselves as possible, is REALLY beneficial.
One of my favourite mantras for the end of the year is, “Finish STRONG!”
Saying or doing something dumb in the final weeks of the school year wipes out all of the good work that we have done throughout the year. In November each year, we republish the Happy School article titled “Finish Strong” as a reminder to the staff in schools who are members of our program. You can access the article here.
Other mantras that might be helpful at this time of the year include the following. Choose the one that resonates most with you, print and display it prominently where you will see it often and use it as a reminder of the importance of our behaviour and the impact we have as a leader.
- This too will pass.
- Live the reputation I want to have.
- Will this matter a year from now?
- Choose abundance – be optimistic about other people’s intentions
- Take responsibility for results, not just actions – everyone is busy these days. It’s important to be busy doing the important things, the things that make a difference.
- I will have a good day because it’s my choice.
- If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
- The most important decision I make every day is my attitude.
- I choose where to spend my energy.
- One day at a time.
- I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.
- It’s not about me.